Our first holiday

ok so it's a month late but I wanted to write a short post on our first holiday.

When we decided to plan our first holiday we considered going abroad ( for 3 seconds) and decided we would holiday at one of our pre baby favourite places Padstow. Cornwall is amazing and although it's miles from North Yorkshire having my parents in Buckinghamshire ment we could stop half way and break the journey up.

We didn't want to holiday abroad because of the stuff, all the stuff you pack for a baby and setting off on our Cornish adventure with Martin's very large skoda superb overloaded made me thankful we weren't on a plane.

We had pushchair and travel cot, baby bath and bath toys, a carrier and a backpack, a steriliser and perfect prep, way too many clothes and a ton of nappies plus toiletries, milk, food  and snacks, oh and the toys of course. I mean babies have stuff. No more packing a suitcase the night before we go this toook preparation and planning.

The journey was long but I was glad to be in a car as we could stop and get out, we enjoyed lots of breaks and coffee and snacks. The best part when the shit really did hit the fan with an hour to go I was able to jump in the back seat and the amazing iphone and the wonders of in the night garden took over ( haha how pre baby me ever thought I would manage without baby tv haha 😂 so naive)

We arrived in Cornwall unloaded all the stuff and moved into our cottage for the week. It was just stunning and I would recommend grove cottage in Padstow to anyone with a baby, a tiny whitewashed beach cottage with one bedroom and and open plan lounge kitchen it was perfect.

The first night as we walked around the harbour, enjoyed a pint of our favourite Cornish Pilsner we thought this is perfect, well that was until Squeak decided she was starving bang on 5.30 so we knew it was time for fish and chips and a retreat to it little hideaway.

That's what it really became our hideaway because when you have a baby like Squeak who loves her routine, her meal times and her stuff you realise that although your on holiday every night your back at 5 doing the same stuff that you do at home at the same times and by 7pm your on the couch watching the one show, the only difference is the couch and the Cornish Pilsner your enjoying.

This is not a negative tho and I'll explain why, you have to grow up, our holidays have always been centred around drinking, that's what we did all day, walked around pubs enjoying the local lager and often missing a meal in favour of a drinking sesh. Then about two years ago after a very hardcore all nighter involving lots of shots I woke up feeling backwards and hating myself with a huge sense of doom. I opened my curtains and blinded by the afternoon sun I looked outside and saw a family on a bike ride and it hit me, like a hangover hammer I want that, I wanted to swap parties for pampers.

So this year in Cornwall we had our first family holiday, we woke at 6, we ate at 8,12, and 5 with a bath and bedtime at 6.30 but you know what else we did? We had trips to the zoo, days at the beach building sand castles, scary steep walks to coves, boat trips and best off all we had that family bike ride and as I cycled along that path behind my fantastic husband and beautiful baby I smiled as I realised I had everything I wanted. Best of all we still ate at Rick steins restaurant and enjoyed an afternoon beer or two.

In reflection ... we are still us, we still can enjoy the things we like, we just now have an extra special person making holidays more memorable having better adventures and I couldn't be happier .


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding and coming to terms with failure

Moving day

A new adventure